Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nashville Parthenon Pilgrimage


My family and I are planning a pilgrimage to the Nashville Parthenon on Saturday April 10, 2010. We'll be there at Noon EST until they close at 4:30 pm and we'd love to see some friendly faces from the Hellenic community there. Laurelei has blond hair. I have dark brown hair. We'll both be wearing dresses and have flowers in our hair.

The gift shop at the Parthenon is a Hellenist's dream come true, so come prepared to drop some drachma. They even have pink squeaky Venuses (Venusii?) and, really, who doesn't need one of those?

This pilgrimage is something I've been planning for over a year and is part of a devotional commitment I've made to Athena. If you've ever wondered why I'm so mad for Her, when you see Her 42-foot gilded statue you'll understand. Don't think that its just about Athena, though. There are wonderful reproductions of the Parthenon marbles on site that depict all of the Pantheon. If you live within driving distance and you haven't been to the Nashville Parthenon consider this a sign that it's time.

3 comments:

  1. We're free that day. I think a road trip is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seeking a change to my life and I have become intrigued by the worship of Athena and the other Greek gods. I would love to see become a part of the Hellenic community and worship...to find my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Clarksville, TN. Just 45 miles north of Nashville. I have been to the Parthenon and it is the most beautiful place I've seen.

    ReplyDelete