|Alligator skin & blue kyanite bag.|
The Crane Bag of Celtic myth was owned by Manannan mac Lir (who is connected with cranes). It was fabricated from the skin of Aoife after she was transformed into a crane. This bag contained treasures which were only visible at high tide. These treasures include: Manannan's house, shirt, and knife; Goibniu's belt and smith's hook; the King of Alba's shears; the King of Lochlann's helmet; the belt of fish-skin; and the bones of Asal's pig. Many modern Druids carry Crane Bags as part of their regalia.
Witches may place any spiritual object in their Crane Bags according to their personal preferences. Such items may include:
- Rocks and shells
- Plants, leaves, twigs, seeds, roots or pieces of bark
- Herbs, oils, infusions, concoctions, teas or healing brews
- Feathers, fur, nails, bones, claws, teeth or other animal parts
- Animal, plant or spirit totems of any kind
- Lucky charms of any sort
- Small gift from friends or coven mates
- Any other items with a spiritual purpose
Like this post? You can read more like it at the American Folkloric Witchcraft blog.